A professional who supervises kitchen employees not actively engaged in cooking to ensure clean, efficient, and economical food service. Respnsibilities include:
- Assigns kitchen helper and other noncooking employees to such activities as dishwashing and silver cleaning.
- Inspects kitchens, workrooms, and equipment for cleanliness and order.
- Hires and discharges employees, and posts time and production records.
- Observes and evaluates employees' performance to devise methods for improving efficiency and guard against theft and wastage.
- Takes inventories of china, silverware, and glassware.
- Reports shortages and requisitions replacement of equipment from steward/stewardess or purchasing agent.
- May be working supervisor in establishments employing an executive chef, who devotes full time to supervising kitchen employees.
- May be designated according to area of work as Pantry Steward/Stewardess.
Terms by category
- No one has edited this term.
Not yet a member ?
Start a blossary
Users of similar interests
Invent a term
Automatically look up terms and translations in 90+ languages.